-->

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Reviewing A Tribute to Anne McCaffrey

Review of Dragonwriter: A Tribute To Anne McCaffrey and Pern by Todd McCaffrey 5*
BLURB: When Anne McCaffrey passed in November 2011, it was not only those closest to her who mourned her death; legions of readers also felt the loss deeply. The pioneering science fiction author behind the Dragonriders of Pern® series crafted intricate stories, enthralling worlds, and strong heroines that profoundly impacted the science fiction community and genre.
In Dragonwriter, Anne’s son and Pern writer Todd McCaffrey collects memories and stories about the beloved author, along with insights into her writing and legacy, from those who knew her best. Nebula Award winner Elizabeth Moon relates the lessons she learned from Pern’s Lessa (and from Lessa’s creator); Hugo Award winner David Brin recalls Anne’s steadfast belief that the world to come will be better than the one before; legendary SFF artist Michael Whelan shares (and tells stories about) never-before-published Pern sketches from his archives; and more.
Join Anne’s co-writers, fellow science fiction authors, family, and friends in remembering her life, and exploring how her mind and pen shaped not only the Weyrs of Pern, but also the literary landscape as we know it.
Contributors include:
Angelina Adams
David Brin
David Gerrold
John Goodwin
Janis Ian
Alec Johnson
Georgeanne Kennedy
Mercedes Lackey
Sharon Lee and Steve Miller
Lois McMaster Bujold
Elizabeth Moon
Charlotte Moore
Robert Neilson
Jody Lynn Nye and Bill Fawcett
Robin Roberts
Elizabeth Ann Scarborough
Wen Spencer
Michael Whelan
Richard J. Woods
Chelsea Quinn Yarbro(less)
Paperback, 288 pages
Expected publication: August 6th 2013 by Smart Pop

My Review: Complimentary Review Copy Provided by Publisher Through NetGalley I have loved Anne McCaffrey since the late 1970's when I first read her book Dragon Singer. I was hooked and, after reluctantly returning my copy to the library, I went out and bought everything I could from her. I continued my love affair with this brilliant writer until the day she died. So as you can imagine I couldn't resist reading this book telling me stories about her from people who REALLY knew her. It was poignant and informative and is a truly wonderful tribute to a truly wonderful woman.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to tell me what you think.