-->

Wednesday, December 04, 2013

Some more audio books

I've been doing a lot of crocheting for Christmas and customers of my new shop so I have listened to a number of audio books lately. I am adding a short review of them here:

Fuzzy Nation (UNABRIDGED)by John Scalzi
Narrated by Wil Wheaton , John Scalzi
5* for story and narration
The storyline was excellent and, having read the book it was based on, I was pleased with how well John Scalzi adapted his story. It made me laugh and cry and gasp aloud and I was very emotionally involved throughout. The part when Fuzzy spoke was done so well by the narrator that I could almost see him stood there.

The Vortex Blaster: Lensman Series (UNABRIDGED) by E. E. 'Doc' Smith
Narrated by Reed McColm
4* for story and narration
I really enjoyed the narration on this one - the vivid images I got from it were so much better than what I remembered the book to be like. In fact, just like in the original story I read so long ago, I still enjoyed the character of Dr. Neal "Storm" Cloud the best. The idea of someone being so good with maths still fascinates me. I also think that hearing it narrated was so much better. The narrator gave such wonderful pronunciation to all the alien planet names and words I had so much trouble with back then.

Alpha and Omega: A Novella from On the Prowl (UNABRIDGED) by Patricia Briggs
Narrated by Holter Graham
5* story 4* narration
I bought this to compare it to the print book and was pleased that I did as it was so well done and now I can listen to it any time I want instead of reading the book until it falls apart. The visual imagery I got from the good narration made this an audiobook that I would rank near the top. I certainly had a more emotional response to the story than I had reading the original print version. Overall it was a good experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to tell me what you think.