-->

Thursday, January 16, 2014

I've been a little remiss

about reviewing lately. I have rated a bunch of shorter stories over on Goodreads but not done anything here. So I am adding two longer ones with reviews now because I really want to gush about how much I liked them both :D



The Scientist and the Supermodel (Genetic Attraction #1) by Tara Lain 5*
BLURB: Geneticist Jake Martin has brilliant scientific vision, but he’s blind to his own nature. Despite his flagging interest in women and his past experience with a man, he’s convinced himself he’d be happy if he could just have his older boss, Emmaline Silvay, as his lover. Living in his closeted dream world, he’s unprepared for the powerful attraction he experiences to supermodel Roan Black, “the most beautiful man in the world.”
Jake can’t resist the gorgeous, androgynous creature. Who could? he thinks. But Roan refuses to accept him until Jake admits that it’s a man he wants and this man in particular. Jake tells himself it’s just sex, but his refusal to understand what he really needs threatens the best chance at happiness he’s ever had. Is there a future for a PhD scientist who refuses to see and a high school dropout supermodel who understands all too clearly?

My Review: I think anyone who has actually been reading my reviews has already figured out that I love Tara Lain and her books so it won't come as any surprise to know that this one comes into that category too. I fell in love with the characters but especially Roan, although I did pity him being seen as an object of lust by most people who knew him. He was just such a unique person who had more patience with Jake than Jake really deserved. Mind you most of the time I felt really sorry for Jake in his utter confusion about his sexuality and life in general. I think what struck me most about this story was how it highlighted the fact that sexuality can and is a fluidity with no plain black or white about it.


House of Gargoyles (Supernatural Holidays) by Shannon Phoenix 5*
BLURB: Angela inherited a house in a small town in the midwest that she hadn't even known existed. When she arrives, she finds the townspeople behaving strangely and the house itself seems to resent her.
Tazariel is a gargoyle who has expected to live his entire life alone with the other gargoyles in the house they are trapped in. When Angela moves in and nearly falls through the stairway of the house that everyone seems to have forgotten, he saves her.
Unfortunately, not everyone loves gargoyles. In fact, after vampires and gargoyles came out to the public, gargoyles were subjected to massive attempts at genocide. Now Angela and Taraziel are caught up in ancient vows and new dangers. Tazariel cannot leave the house grounds, and Angela isn't safe without him. They must find a way to stop the forces that move against them before death comes for them all. To save Tazariel, Angela may need to betray his most sacred vow and sacrifice the greatest love of her life.

My Review: I don't come across many paranormal romances with Gargoyles so when I do I snatch them up as I love Gargoyles. Luckily this one was better than most that I've read. In fact the story was well written and beautifully done with great characters and lots of intrigue as well as humour and action. I hope the author writes more in this world she has created as I was thoroughly lost in it and couldn't put the book down (lack of sleep is nothing compared to a good story). I don't want to be more precise as to why I loved it so much, as I will be tempted to give away the plot with lots of spoilers, so instead I will just say, if you would like to read a paranormal with a new twist then you need to read this book.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to tell me what you think.