-->

Monday, May 02, 2016

Today I’m very lucky to be interviewing Michelle Osgood author of The Better to Kiss You With.

Hi Michelle thank you for agreeing to this interview. Tell us a little about yourself, your background, and your current book.

Hi, thanks for having me! I’m a writer who lives in Vancouver, BC, with my partner Elizabeth and our two black cats. I have a Bachelor of Arts degree in English, and have been fascinated with storytelling for as long as I can remember. The Better to Kiss You With is a paranormal romance about Deanna, the moderator of an online werewolf role playing game, who falls for the mysterious woman living above her.

What genres do you enjoy writing in?

Romance is my favourite genre to write in. I think you get to pull from so many other genres—scifi, fantasy, historical, mystery, horror, erotica—and bring in elements that you love, all while creating a story that comes with a guaranteed happy ending. My absolute favourite thing about romance is the guaranteed happy endings! I think there’s something incredibly beautiful and important about knowing from the first page you read that no matter what happens, the characters will find the happiness and love they deserve. 

What was the hardest part about writing this book?


The hardest part about writing The Better to Kiss You With was believing that I could do it. This book is my first novel, and I was writing it in the blind hope that someone would want to publish it. Pushing through, and knowing that there was a not insignificant chance that it would never see the light of day, was really difficult some days. Luckily, I have an amazing group of friends and family, and my partner Elizabeth, who never doubted that I could do it! They kept me on track even when I wanted to give up, and I’m so grateful for that support. 

What did you enjoy most about writing your book?

Finishing it! Hitting send on the email submission was an incredible high. Like I said, I’d nearly quit a few times, and finally making it to the finish line, and feeling like I’d written something fun and exciting that I could be proud of, was amazing. I knew that no matter what happened, I’d written a novel, and that was a great feeling.

What cultural value do you see in writing?


So. Much. I love reading. I’ve loved it for as long as I can remember, and I loved it so much I went and got a degree in English Lit (even though my parents were trying to steer me towards something more “useful” like Accounting!). Writing and reading are two sides of a magical coin to me, and I don’t know another way to encourage empathy, understanding, and creative thinking in young people. Or anyone! That’s the amazing thing about writing, and why literacy is so important, it means that you never have to stop learning, or experiencing new things.


What is your favorite positive saying?

I love this question! I gotta go with this quote from Kanye West: “Goals so big 
you get uncomfortable telling small minded people.” I’ve got big goals, baby ;) 


Thank you so much for joining me today Michelle. I wish you all success with your book.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to tell me what you think.