-->

Monday, February 17, 2020

"Sex, Drones, and Rock 'n Roll"? An Audiobook Review

The Hands We're Given: Aces High, Jokers Wild (Book 1) Written by O.E. Tearmann & Narrated by Kirt Graves 5*
BLURB: Sex. Drones. Rock and roll.
Aidan Headly never wanted to be the man giving orders. That's fine with the Democratic State Force base he's been assigned to command: they don't like to take orders. Nicknamed the Wildcards, they used to be the most effective base against the seven Corporations owning the former United States in a war that has lasted over half a century. Now the Wildcards are known for creative insubordination, chaos, and commanders begging to be reassigned.
Aidan is their last chance. If he can pull off his assignment as Commander and yank his ragtag crew of dreamers and fighters together, maybe they can get back to doing what they came to do: fighting for a country worth living in.
Life's a bitch. She deals off the bottom of the deck. But you play the hands you're given.


My Review: “I was voluntarily provided this free review copy audiobook by the author, narrator, or publisher.” This is one of the best Dystopian novels I've listened to in a long time. The world building drew me in knee deep before I knew what hit me. The Characters had me laughing and crying, sometimes at the same time, and the plot line was intriguing and action packed. I want to say so much about this book and the characters I fell in love with, but don't want to give away spoilers, so I'll just give a small warning instead: if you don't like LGBTQ in your Science Fiction don't bother reading/listening to this. Though I will admit the sensitive way that aspect was woven into the story was the cherry on top of the Sundae that this book was for me. One other thing: The narrator was new to me but I loved the way he read the story and can't wait to hear other books narrated by him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to tell me what you think.