-->

Friday, April 21, 2023

Reviewing a Binge Read of a Series

 Daemons of San Delain by M. A. Church

This IS a series that needs to be read in order.
All Book Blurbs

Chasing Shadows (Daemons of San DeLain #1) by M.A. Church 4*

The monster: They say I am powerful. They say I am the darkness. They say I instill fear in the minds and hearts of many.
They’re right.
I am powerful. I am the darkness. I should be feared. Then I heard his cries and everything changed. Power can be tempered. There’s safety in the darkness. And the monster isn’t always the one under the bed.
Now only the heart and mind of one human interests me. He is mine. I wait, watching over him until the time is right to claim what belongs to me.
Austin: Do you believe there are monsters under the bed? I do. I don’t just believe; I know for a fact they exist. I’ve met one. Sort of. Okay, I haven’t actually seen the monster, I’ve only spoken to it.
Kind of hard to see much of anything when you’re hiding under the covers while waiting on your father to beat your ass. The monster saved me. Literally. He says I’m his, and he’s waiting for the right time to claim me.
Someone tell him to hurry the hell up.

Shadow's Embrace (Daemons of San DeLain #2) by M.A. Church 4*
Kage: Am I still a monster? Very much so. Am I loved? Absolutely. Will I burn it all down to protect my mate? You better believe it. Hunters have come to San DeLain once again, and they’re targeting humans and paranormals for their sick experiments. Many have gone missing. Some for many, many years. Then new information comes to light, and plans are made to raid their top-secret lab and bring home those taken.
But no one is safe, especially Austin.
In the midst of all this, an old flame returns, bringing chaos into their lives. But not all is as it appears to be.
Austin: Kage is still my monster, even if he’s no longer under my bed. I claimed him, and no flame from the past is going to take what’s mine. But the ex isn’t the only danger lurking in the shadows. The hunters have struck close to home, and something heartbreakingly evil is exposed, shocking the paranormal community.
Especially Kage.
What is real? And what is nothing more than a mimic of the real thing?

Of Love and Shadows (Daemons of San DeLain #3) by M.A. Church 4*
Kage: I may be powerful. I may be the darkness. But it turns out I’m not the only monster who lurks in the shadows. The silence has been broken, and a secret from long ago has been unearthed with devastating consequences. The past has come back to haunt me, and everything I thought I knew has been turned on its head.
Danger strikes at everything I hold dear, and death stalks my mate and me.
Austin: Not all monsters have wings, horns, and a tail. And sometimes monsters really are monsters. I know exactly how far someone will go to hide toxic secrets, but even I am shocked by the latest revelations. Pandora’s box has been opened, and now we’re dealing with the aftermath. My monster grieves, and I ache for him.
But blood isn’t thicker than water, and found family is everything.
Chaos reigns as the attacks from the mimic escalate, and the daemon clan of San DeLain goes on high alert. But violence is never far away, and when the past doesn’t stay buried, the answers will lead to even more questions.
Death is coming, and the end is near. But for whom?

My Review:  Now I read these one after the other, so I will not be able to keep straight what happened in each individual book, so this is a review of all three as one and, since I try not to give spoilers, don't expect much in the way of what happens either.
That said this one got me hooked from book one (hence the binge read) since the characters were full of personality and depth and the world building was excellent. There was a great deal of action and intrigue throughout, but also a lot of romance and sexual heat between the main characters. And in case you didn't bother reading the blurbs before reading me review, let me say now that this is an M/M pairing and that sexual heat was very hot. Luckily the balance between sex scenes and storyline plot was well balanced with neither over shadowing the other. I liked the way the paranormal world was portrayed and will certainly be giving the next books a try to see if that continues in the planned Dragons of San DeLain series. Please pity my bank account if it does :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to tell me what you think.